There is no traditional theme for a 16 year wedding anniversary, but don’t be disappointed. While it may not have been considered significant enough many years ago, the modern thinking gift giver has silver holloware as inspiration. And if you’ve been using the traditional list of themes for previous years, then this year the world is your oyster.
The modern list of anniversary themes came about in the 1930s, when the Association of American Jewelers decided that more years deserved recognition. Previously, every year up to 15 had its own special theme, and every fifth year after that. The wise thinking jewelers saw an opening and decided that more years had earned some appreciation, and every year up to 25 was assigned its own special theme.
A contemporary theme for your husband’s 16th wedding anniversary gift
The gift theme that has been assigned to a 16th wedding anniversary is silver holloware. Some of you will be wondering what that encompasses, and others will be thinking it’s not the kind of gift you give to a man. For both of you and anyone else just struggling to think of ideas we’re glad you’ve joined us.
16th Anniversary Gifts For a Husband
Gold-Dipped Golf Ball & Tee Set
- a genuine golf ball and tee both dipped in 24k gold
- a perfect complement to any golfer's display cabinet
- ideal for mounting on a trophy
Gold-Dipped Poker Cards
- playable deck of poker cards dipped in 24 karat gold.
- produced to tournament grade standards
- presented in an elegant high quality case
So what is silver holloware?
Silver holloware is a little difficult to clearly define. Historically, it referred to hollow items made from silver and usually included tableware, such as coffee pots, teapots, tureens, creamers, sugar bowls, and other silver items. Nowadays, however, it also includes items that are silver plated and not necessarily 100% silver. This particular type includes cutlery sets, as well as silver plated sculptures and ornaments.
We’re guessing your husband won’t be too keen on receiving a cutlery set, or coffee pot, so what other options are there?
- An engraved flask – Make sure you include a meaningful message
- Ice bucket – The perfect finishing touch for his man cave
- Wine goblets – He’ll feel like a Lord and you can be his Lady with this extravagant gift for his favorite plonk
- Silver plated fountain pen – Even though the digital age has removed the need for paper and pen there’s nothing that can beat it
- Candlesticks – To complete the table for your romantic anniversary dinner
- Silvery vacation – To Silver Sands Beach in Jamaica or another silver-inspired destination
- Antique silverware – Silver has an heirloom quality, and antique silver items can be very valuable
- Vintage silverware – The chance for your husband to own a piece of history
A great place to look for the last couple of items in the list are garage sales, thrift stores, eBay and auction houses.
A wealth of gemstones to choose for a 16th wedding anniversary gift for your husband
There is a lot of superstition and folklore associated with gemstones. So let’s look at each option in turn, and see if there is anything that sparks your interest.
The name aquamarine comes from the Latin, aqua marina – water of the sea. And there’s no surprise there because of its ocean blue color. The stone symbolizes faithfulness and can also be used as a charm for people setting out on a long journey overseas. Julia, the daughter of Titus, the Roman Emperor, owned an aquamarine gemstone that had been etched with her portrait. This gemstone can be seen at The National Museum of France in Paris.
Peridot is a gemstone that is olive-green in color. It was believed that it could protect the wearer from evil, and crystal healers use it as a powerful cleansing stone. It is said to release toxins and neutralize them on all levels. Peridot is one of only a few gemstones that can be found in one color, although the intensity and hint can vary depending on the levels of iron contained in the structure.
Topaz is the third choice if you’re looking for a gemstone for your husband’s 16th anniversary gift. It is a gemstone that has been popular since biblical times. Traditionally, it has been the yellow stone that has been most favored, but is actually available in a myriad of colors.
When it comes to gifts that incorporate a gemstone the obvious choice for a gift is an item of jewelry. But there are also paperweights, desk ornaments, or healing stones. And if your husband isn’t the kind of guy who will be enthralled with a gemstone, be creative and let the ocean hues of these stones lead you away for an ocean vacation. Or choose a painting or sculpture that brings out the same marine themed shades.
We hope you’ve got enough ideas to get your gift choosing underway, and the gift you pick for your husband’s 16 year wedding anniversary gift will certainly make him smile.